Friday, March 7, 2008

Hunter Speccing

My hunter has also started rolling in the talent points so it's her turn.

I've never had anything besides a BM hunter (even when MM/SV were the rage), and I'm not going to start on anything else now. The other specs have their nice bits but really, BM is great for soloing which is what I'll likely to be doing for awhile, even after I hit 70, for my hunter, that is.

First, a good read on how to spec the BM tree can be found at BigRedKitty's.

However, I did make some changes to suit my playstyle and needs.

Bestial Swiftness

BRK selected this, but I gave it the miss. Frankly, I do question the need for this talent. While running between mobs, the pet will just keep pace with you. When running after mobs, your pet will quickly get Dash, which does put this talent to shame.

If I needed a filler, this might be under consideration. However, too many goodies in this tree to consider.

Ferocious Inspiration

Another of BRK's choices which I left out.

Don't get me wrong. This is a phenomenal talent in groups. The buff is a huge damage boost when this procs, which happens often for a BM hunter.

However, my hunter tends to be the 'farmer', with her dual gathering professions and her grouping sessions are likely to be limited. As such, she will get little out of this talent.

So, with four points to allocate, this is what I did instead.

Animal Handler

This is one which helps the leveling process and her farming career.

Pre-70, there is no Riding Crop, so this helps to boost along the movement while mounted. Also, with no other way to increase a pet's chance to hit, this is a nice little boost to reduce the misses and increase the pet's DPS, as well as tanking ability.

Catlike Reflexes

For farming, I need my pet to survive cos I don't want to melee... This helps.

Again, there isn't any other way to add to a Pet's dodge so every few percent helps. In the time when my hunter will need to melee, this helps as well...

If I do end up raiding/grouping often with my hunter, Catlike Reflexes will go and the points can go back to Ferocious Inspiration, with possibly another point coming from Animal Handler.

The next 20 points will go into MM, which is nicely covered by BRK here.

2 comments:

BRK said...

Very nicely explained and reasoned.

"Pre-70, there is no Riding Crop"

Ah, but there is: Carrot on a Stick.

We still think you'd kill stuff faster with Ferocious Inspiration than Catlike Reflexes, but we love how you stated a premise then backed it up with ideas and logic.

/applaud

BRK

Blood Elf Chicks said...

Thanks for the comments!

True on the FI, but I figured CR might help my cat survive a bit (he tends to be a bit fragile & I'm not going to spec into Natural Armor).

Besides, I'm still a far bit away from when I need to make that decision, so things might change!